Is currently working on several projects, among them:
Norway's imports from developing countries and the GSP
Integration of socio-economic methods with risk assessment, surveillance modalities, and epidemiological impacts.
Conducting research and supporting collaborative international activities with ILRI, FAO, CUTS International, and Scottish Agricultural College on animal health economics, international trade, and value chain analysis. Activities include assessments of the global benefits of rinderpest eradication, models of the economics of animal disease surveillance and aquaculture diseases, analysis of trade preferences for developing countries, and quantitative models for value chain analysis.
- Rich, Karl , Perry, B.D
(2011). The economic and poverty impacts of animal diseases in developing countries: new roles, new demands for economics and epidemiology,
in Preventive Veterinary Medicine 101(3-4).Elsevier.p. 133-147.The article explores the economic and poverty impacts of animal diseases in developing countries. [url]
- Rich, Karl , Brian D. Perry (2011). Whither Commodity-based Trade?, url]
- Rich, Karl , R. Brent Ross, A. Derek Baker, Asfaw Negassa
(2011). Quantifying value chain analysis in the context of livestock systems in developing countries ,
in Food Policy, Volume 36, Issue 2, April 2011.Elsevier.p. 214-222.This paper offers theoretical and applied insights on ways to improve the analytical rigor of the value chain methodology that combines both qualitative and quantitative approaches. [url]
- Rich, Karl , Kumar, P. , Shinoj, P., Raju, S.S, Kumar, A., Msangi, S.
(2010). Factor Demand, Output Supply Elasticities and Supply Projections for Major Crops of India,
Agricultural Economics Research Review, 23, Issue 1.Agricultural Economics Research Association (India).p. 1-14. [url]
- Rich, Karl , Peter Roeder
(2010). The Global Effort to Eradicate Rinderpes,
in David J. Spielman and Rajul Pandya-Lorch (eds.) Proven successes in agricultural development: a technical compendium to Millions Fed. Washington D.C.,International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).p. .This analysis attempts to present lessons learned from the experience gained in eradicating rinderpest, and explores the socioeconomic gains made as a result. [url]
- Rich, Karl , Simeon Kaitibie, Amos Omore, Patti Kristjanson
(2010). Kenyan Dairy Policy Change: Influence Pathways and Economic Impacts,
World Development, Volume 38, Issue 10, October 2010,.Elsevier.p. 1494-1505.Marketing, transporting, processing, and consuming dairy products contribute significantly to the livelihoods of many poor Kenyan households. This study analyzes the impact of recent research supporting policy changes to liberalize informal milk markets. [url]
- Rich, Karl , Francis Wanyoike (2010). An Assessment of the Regional and National Socio-Economic Impacts of the 2007 Rift Valley Fever Outbreak in Kenya, url]
- Eriksen, Stein Sundstøl, Sverre Lodgaard, Arne Melchior, Karl Rich, Elana Wilson Rowe, Ole Jacob Sending (2012). BRICS, Energy and the New World Order . Oslo, NUPI. 39 pages. In this report, NUPI researches examines various aspects of the issue BRICS and global energy.
- Melchior, Arne , Karl Rich, Brian Perry (2012). Norway's trade with the least developed - between profit and development politics. Oslo, NUPI. 142 pages. The report analyzes barriers to trade faced by the least developed countries. In spite of large trade preferences on certain agricultural products, trade to Norway remain modest. Why is this so, and what can be done to increase trade?
- Melchior, Arne , Karl Rich, Brian Perry (2012). A case study of Norway’s beef trade from developing countries. NUPI Working Paper: 796. 31 pages. This working paper provides information on Norway’s beef trade in the context of GSP.
- Rich, Karl , Brian D. Perry (2010). Whither Commodity-Based Trade?. NUPI Working Paper: 776. 44 pages. This paper examines the potential economic impact of changing international trade regulations for livestock products on market access from developing countries.