The unit does applied research, policy analysis, concept development and assistance on multinational and multidimensional peace support and stability operations and related themes.
The department works with both civilian and military partners in national and international settings. We seek to address most aspects of peace support operations from intervention to long term peace building and security sector reform. The department may also do evaluations and assessments of ongoing national and international projects and operations.
The department consists of five programs with a permanent staff of ten researchers, advisers and military fellows at NUPI, with another three in Bosnia. Another ten to fifteen associated researchers from other units at NUPI and elsewhere are involved in projects at the department. Such arrangements provide both a broad pool of professional expertise as well as operational flexibility.
The project seeks to generate knowledge on the challenges facing civilian capacities within UN peacekeeping and peacebuilding operations, as well as recommending ways in which they can be addressed. More
This project seeks to contribute to ongoing process of mainstreaming the Protection of Civilians into the African Peace and Security Architecture. More
This project will focus on synergies and challenges of the transition between peacekeeping and peacebuilding. More
Women, Peace and Security and the Protection of Civilians. Challenges to Implementing Resolution 1820 in MINURCAT, Chad
Prosjektet tar utgangspunkt i FNs Sikkerhetsrådsresolusjon 1325, med spesifikt fokus på Protection of Civilians og implementeringen av FNs Sikkerhetsrådsresolusjon 1820 mot seksualisert og kjønnsbasert vold i MINURCAT, Tsjad. More
The project builds on earlier fieldwork in the DRC and the security sector reform (SSR) processes in the country. The project will examine the development of a Congolese security sector as the major perpetrator group of sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV). More
Five policy briefs from NUPI’s Afghanistan and Pakistan Programme to inform Norwegian and international policy makers on the challenges ahead in Afghanistan, Pakistan and the region as a whole. More
- Langø, Hans-Inge (2013). Den akademiske debatten om cyberspace, url]
- Langø, Hans-Inge , Kristin Bergtora Sandvik (2013). Cyberspace og sikkerhet, url]
- de Coning, Cedric H., John Karlsrud, Ingrid Marie Breidlid (2013). Turning to the South: Civilian Capacity in the Aftermath of Conflict, url]
- Schia, Niels Nagelhus, Benjamin de Carvalho,
(2013). Sexual and Gender-Based Violence and the Rule of Law in Liberia,
in Benjamin de Carvalho and Ole Jacob Sending (eds.) The Protection of Civilians in UN Peacekeeping: Concept, Implementation and Practice..Baden-Baden,Nomos. [url]
- Schia, Niels Nagelhus (2013). Horseshoe and Catwalk – Power and Complexity in the United Nations Security Council. NUPI Working Paper: 816. 14 pages. This working paper is part of a project in which the author aims to explain why peacebuilding is a cumbersome and not always successful project by investigating power relations in the UN (United Nations) and the complexity of this organization. The working paper also discusses to what extent and how anthropology can extract the general from the unique - the notion of generalizability.
- Karlsrud, John
(2013). Responsibility to Protect and Theorising Normative Change in International Organisations: From Weber to the Sociology of Professions,
in Global Responsibility to Protect 5 (1).Brill . [url]
- de Coning, Cedric H., Walter Lotze
(2013). South Africa,
in Alex J. Bellamy and Paul D. Williams (eds.) Providing Peacekeepers: The Politics, Challenges, and Future of United Nations Peacekeeping Contribution s..Oxford,Oxford University Press.This chapter is one of sixteen country studies in the book, and it examines why South Africa contributes peacekeepers, the factors that inhibit contributions, and ways in which the UN might strengthen its capacity to secure more and better peacekeepers. [url]
- Sverdrup, Ulf , Joakim Hertzberg Ulstein, Mikkel Frøsig Pedersen, Halvard Leira, Ståle Ulriksen (2013). Norske interesser - sett fra utestasjonene. Oslo, NUPI. 43 pages.
- Karlsrud, John , Diana Felix da Costa
(2013). The Elusive Concept of Protection of Civilians: A Case-Study of the United Nations Mission to the Central African Republic and Chad (MINURCAT),
In de Carvalho, B. & Sending, O.J., (eds.), The Protection of Civilians in UN Peacekeeping.Concept, Implementation and Practice.Baden-Baden ,Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft. [url]
- Caparini , Marina
(2013). State protection of the Czech Roma and the Canadian Refugee System,
In Didier Bigo, Sergio Carrera and Elspeth Guild, eds., Foreigners, Refugees or Minorities?: Rethinking People in the Context of Border Controls and Visas .
An earlier version of this text is available as a CEPS Working Paper..Ashgate. [url]