John Karlsrud is currently undertaking a Ph.D: "Linked Ecologies and Norm Change in United Nations Peacekeeping Operations" at the Department of Politics and International Studies, University of Warwick, supervised by Prof. Leonard Seabrooke.
At NUPI, John is the Manager of the Training for Peace programme and the Deputy Manager of the Peace Operations and Peacebuilding Research Group, working on issues related to inter alia local peacebuilding, protection of civilians.
- de Coning, Cedric H., John Karlsrud, Ingrid Marie Breidlid (2013). Turning to the South: Civilian Capacity in the Aftermath of Conflict, url]
- Karlsrud, John
(2013). Responsibility to Protect and Theorising Normative Change in International Organisations: From Weber to the Sociology of Professions,
in Global Responsibility to Protect 5 (1).Brill . [url]
- Karlsrud, John , Diana Felix da Costa
(2013). The Elusive Concept of Protection of Civilians: A Case-Study of the United Nations Mission to the Central African Republic and Chad (MINURCAT),
In de Carvalho, B. & Sending, O.J., (eds.), The Protection of Civilians in UN Peacekeeping.Concept, Implementation and Practice.Baden-Baden ,Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft. [url]
- Karlsrud, John
(2013). The UN as a competitive arena for linked ecologies: The case of UN peacekeeping,
in Political Perspectives, 7.Manchester,University of Manchester.p. 6-25.This article argues that the UN, in the area of peacekeeping, can be understood as a competitive arena, where informal policy alliances are competing to frame issues and build support for new norms, concepts and rules. [url]
- Karlsrud, John , Diana Felix da Costa (2012). Contextualising Liberal Peacebuilding for Local Circumstances: Unmiss and Local Peacebuilding In South Sudan, url]
- Karlsrud, John , Marko Savkovic
(2012). Harnessing Serbian Civilian Capacity for Peace Support Operations: A Nascent Community?,
in Journal of Regional Security 7 (2).Belgrade,BCSP. [url]
- Karlsrud, John , Randi Solhjell (2012). Gender-Sensitive Protection and the Responsibility to Prevent: Lessons from Chad , url]
- Karlsrud, John , Felix da Costa, D. (2011). Navigating Hybrid Political Orders: Balancing Peacebuilding in Chad, url]
- Karlsrud, John , Piccolino, G.
(2011). Withering consent, but mutual dependency: UN peace operations and new African assertiveness,
in Conflict, Security and Development 11(4).Routledge.p. . [url]
- Schia, Niels Nagelhus, John Karlsrud (2012). Contextualizing peacebuilding activities to local circumstances. Oslo, NUPI. 30 pages. Security in Practice. This final and comparative report summarizes the findings from the three field reports that have constituted the project Contextualizing peacebuilding activities to local circumstances. This project was conducted as a comparative study of UN local-level peacebuilding in three countries – Haiti, Liberia and South Sudan.
- Karlsrud, John , Felix da Costa, Diana (2012). UN local peacebuilding and transition in Haiti. Oslo, NUPI. 51 pages. Security in Practice 4 · 2012. In this report Felix de Costa and Karlsrud examine the UN peacekeeping operations in Haiti, assessing how the UN could maneuver to help establish good local governance institutions with community-based ownership.
- Karlsrud, John , Felix da Costa, Diana (2012). Moving towards local-level peacebuilding?. Oslo, NUPI. 53 pages. Security in Practice 5 · 2012. In this case-study report Felix da Costa and Karlsrud examine early peacebuilding activities and local circumstances in South Sudan. The report seeks to elucidate some core research questions developed jointly by NUPI and UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations Best Practices.
- Nikolaisen, Trine , John Karlsrud (2011). Ti år i Afghanistan - hva nå?. Oslo, Utenriksdepartementet. 32 pages. Rapporten oppsummerer innholdet i Sikkerhetspolitisk konferanse 2011 som handlet om Afghanistan. Rapporten er strukturert rundt to hovedspørsmål: Hva har Norge og vesten oppnådd i Afghanistan, og hva har vi lært.
- Karlsrud, John , Morten Dehli Andreassen (2011). Bakgrunnsdokument: Ti år i Afghanistan - hva nå?. Oslo, NUPI. 16 pages. Rapport om hva det internasjonale bidraget har bragt Afghanistan og veien videre.
- de Coning, Cedric H., John Karlsrud, Ingrid Marie Breidlid (2011). Conference Proceedings: Mobilizing Civilian Capacity. Oslo, NUPI. 24 pages. The international civilian training and rostering community met in New York on 14 June 2011 to consider the Report of the Independent Review of Civilian Capacity in the Aftermath of Conflict, and discussed how to take the recommendations forward.
- Solhjell, Randi , John Karlsrud, Jon Harald Sande Lie (2010). Protecting Civilians against Sexual and Gender-Based Violence in Eastern Chad. Oslo, Norwegian Institute of International Affairs. 27 pages. Security in Practice. The report addresses the UN mission in Chad (MINURCAT) and the Chadian police force DIS in the context of protecting civilians against sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) in eastern Chad.
- Karlsrud, John , Diana Felix da Costa, Søren Vester Haldrup, Frederik Rosén and Kristoffer Nilaus Tarp (2013). Civilian capacity in the aftermath of conflict – a case study of OPEN. DIIS/NUPI Policy Brief, 16. May
- Friis , Karsten , John Karlsrud (2013). FN går til krig. NRK Ytring, 10. May
- Karlsrud, John , Diana Felix da Costa, Frederik Rosén, Søren Vester Haldrup, Kristoffer Nilaus Tarp (2013). Triangular co-operation for government capacity development in South Sudan. NUPI/NOREF Policy Brief, 6. May
- de Coning, Cedric H., John Karlsrud, Lotte Vermeij (2013). CIVCAP, Emerging Powers and the Global South: Evidence for a New Phase of Engagement . NUPI Policy Brief No.6, 7. March
- Karlsrud, John , Øyvind Eggen (2012). FN må reformeres. Dagbladet, 25. September
- Karlsrud, John , Diana Felix da Costa (2012). Offering the diagnosis, but lacking the medicine: UN local peacebuilding-peacekeeping nexus in Haiti. NUPI Policy Brief No. 4, 5. June
- Karlsrud, John , Diana Felix da Costa (2012). Casting the net too deep and too wide? UN local peacebuilding-peacekeeping nexus in South Sudan. NUPI Policy Brief No. 5, 5. June
- Karlsrud, John (2011). Adapting Norwegian Civilian Capacity for the Future: Implications of the Guéhenno Report. NOREF Policy Brief, 14. September
- Stamnes, Eli , John Karlsrud (2011). Hvorfor Libya? . FN-sambandets skolebrev 03/11, 7. September
- de Coning, Cedric H., John Karlsrud (2011). Preparing and Mobilizing Civilian Capacity for the Future. Recommendations for Implementing the Guéhenno Report . NUPI Policy briefs, 30. August
- Karlsrud, John , Eli Stamnes (2011). Meningen med resolusjonen. Dagsavisen, 25. March
- Karlsrud, John , Andreas Øien Stensland (2011). Svekket troverdighet. Dagbladet, 11. February
- Karlsrud, John , Mikkel Frøsig Pedersen, Andreas Øien Stensland (2011). Sps utdaterte utenrikspolitikk. Dagbladet, 7. February
- Karlsrud, John , Randi Solhjell, Benjamin de Carvalho (2010). Norwegian engagement with the UN at a crossroads. Perspektiv, Norwegian Refugee Council, 30. August
- de Carvalho, Benjamin , John Karlsrud (2010). En ny stat trenger Norge. Dagbladet, 9. November
- Solhjell, Randi , John Karlsrud (2010). Une sortie honorable pour la MINURCAT?. Note de synthèse 3 . 2010, 14. July
- Solhjell, Randi , John Karlsrud (2010). An Honourable Exit for MINURCAT?. NUPI Policy Brief 3 · 2010, 11. June